Athens Area Cancer Auxiliary
P.O. Box 48763
Athens GA 30604
AACA Board and Chair Descriptions
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the Auxiliary and the Board and be a member of all committees.
- The President shall appoint all committee chairs except those elected by the membership, and shall, with the approval of the Board, create other committees as deemed necessary.
- The President shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The President-Elect shall perform in the absence of the President and shall succeed the President the following year.
- If the President resigns, the President-Elect shall automatically succeed her, serving the remainder of that term and the entire following year.
- The President-Elect is responsible for securing speakers/programs and meeting locations for each general meeting held that year. She is responsible for collecting raffle items for the meetings as needed.
- The President-Elect shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The past president shall provide guidance and advice to the board as needed.
- The past president shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The corresponding secretary shall conduct the general correspondence of the auxiliary, including but not limited to: birthday wishes, congratulations, sympathy and thank you notes.
- The corresponding secretary shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The recording secretary shall be responsible for the minutes of all meetings of the Board and the general membership.
- The recording secretary shall furnish complete copies of the minutes to the Executive Board and membership when applicable.
- The recording secretary shall attend all monthly Board meetings and arrange for someone to take the minutes in her place should she be unable to attend a meeting.
- The treasurer maintains accurate budget records of the operating account, membership financial obligations, membership dues and fund raising account.
- The treasurer along with the President shall prepare a proposed annual budget to be presented at the August meeting of the Executive Board.
- The treasurer shall maintain complete records of accounts for tax preparation.
- The treasurer shall be present at the fall event, tour of homes and golf tournament to collect funds as applicable.
- The treasurer shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The community service chair shall preside over all community service committee meetings, which shall be attended by the Road to Recovery/In Their Shoes chair, Holiday Service Project chair, and Road to Recovery chair. This committee will develop hands-on volunteer opportunities throughout the year that the community service chair will share with the general membership.
- The community service chair shall oversee member service hours.
- The community service chair shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The special funds chair is responsible for securing financial sponsors for the fiscal year.
- She is also responsible for working closely with the publicity and marketing of the events to ensure that sponsors are recognized correctly.
- She maintains an accurate list of ticket donations to corporate sponsors and benefactors of the auxiliary.
- The special funds chair shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The membership chair maintains accurate records of all members.
- She is responsible for the collection and dissemination of all information in the membership handbook and is to maintain an accurate roster.
- A directory will be given to the entire membership at the annual meeting as members and sustainers pay their dues and updates will be provided as needed through the monthly newsletter.
- The membership chair shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The new member chair is responsible for training and instructing all new members on auxiliary functions and membership responsibilities.
- The new member chair is responsible for committee placement of all new members and the coordination of all new member orientation meetings.
- The new member chair is responsible for keeping all new members informed of auxiliary events and keeping in touch with each new member to answer any questions or concerns.
- The new member chair shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
Relay for Life/In Their Shoes
- The community service chair oversees the auxiliary’s participation in Relay for Life and In Their Shoes.
- She coordinates closely with the American Cancer Society to determine the auxiliary’s role in both the Athens and Oconee Relays.
- The community service chair handles the membership sign up to staff the setup, event shifts that evening and clean up.
- The community service chair shall attend all community service committee meetings and communicate regularly with the community service chairs.
Road to Recovery
- The Road to Recovery chair is responsible for coordinating the transportation of cancer patients to treatment facilities.
- This chair works closely with volunteer drivers and their availability and is responsible for filling transportation needs as they arise.
- The Road to Recovery chair is responsible for timely communication with the American Cancer Society when transportation needs cannot be met with volunteers.
- She is the liaison between the heath care facilities, the patients and the auxiliary.
- The Road to Recovery chair shall attend all community service committee meetings and communicate regularly with the community service chairs.
- The fall event chairs shall preside over the fall event committee meetings, which shall be held regularly in the months leading up to the event. The committee members include the Silent Auction chair and Invitation and Reservations chair, which will communicate regularly as progress is made on the event.
- The chairs oversee and coordinate the annual fall event including, but not limited to: securing the facility, catering, decorations, set-up and band. The chairs will also set overall goals for event including income generated and attendees. These goals will be presented to the Board.
- The chairs are also responsible for all publicity/marketing of the event. She is responsible for overseeing all printed material prior to its presentation to the Board. The chairs will work closely with the Special Funds Chair to ensure all sponsors are recognized appropriately in all advertising and marketing.
- The chairs will begin attending Board meetings in April through the Board meeting following the event.
- The silent auction chair is responsible for the overall organization of the silent auction, including but not limited to: solicitation of items for the silent auction held during the fall event, the setup, presentation, take down of these items, and check-out.
- The silent auction chair will work with the fall event chairs to ensure that the silent auction and fall event have similar goals. The silent auction chair will provide the fall event chairs with goals for fundraising through the silent auction.
- The fall event committee will support the silent auction chair by soliciting and gathering items and assisting with all aspects of the silent auction during the night of the fall event.
- The silent auction chair shall attend all Fall Event committee meetings.
- The invitations and reservations chair coordinates the addressing and mailing out of the fall event save the date cards and invitations. She is also responsible for updating the invitation list prior to mailing out the invitations.
- The chair is responsible for accepting and compiling the fall event reservations as they are returned and transferring the reservation/donation money to the treasurer in an efficient manner.
- She must be present the night of the fall event for guest check-in.
- The invitations and reservations chair shall attend all fall event committee meetings.
- The fall event chairs shall preside over the golf tournament committee meetings, which shall be held regularly in the months leading up to the event.
- The golf tournament chairs oversee and coordinate the annual golf tournament including, but not limited to: securing the facility, catering, decorations, set up and band.
- The chairs will also set overall goals for event including income generated and attendees. These goals will be presented to the Board.
- The golf tournament chairs are also responsible for all publicity/marketing of the event. They are responsible for overseeing all printed material prior to its presentation to the Board.
- The Golf Tournament chairs shall attend all monthly Board meetings beginning in January and ending the month following the event.
- The e-mail/newsletter/website chair is responsible for assembly, design and distribution of the newsletter.
- She is also responsible for notifying the membership of auxiliary meetings and other events/business.
- The chair is responsible for maintaining the website and working with the President, President-Elect, and chairs to ensure the most up-to-date information is available on the site. In addition, she will forward any emails received at the general email address to the appropriate chair or board member. She will take pictures at events and post them on the website and ensure that the site provides visitors with appropriate information.
- The e-mail/newsletter/website chair shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The notecard chair will work with businesses that sell AACA notecards and ensure that they are adequately supplied.
- In addition, the chair will reach out to other potential locations and work to build relationships so that more businesses will actively sell notecards around northeast Georgia.
- The notecard chair shall attend all monthly Board meetings.
- The sustainer advisor provides advice and support to the Board.
- The sustainer advisor shall attend all monthly Board meetings.